Today Eve and Henry and I ran to Wal-mart. It was delightful! I don't get to spend a lot of time with Eve without the other kids around and she is fun! (She talks non.stop.) We enjoyed making our way through a very crowded store, admiring fun Christmas things and laughing and holding hands. Henry was a great shopper, which is rare. (I'll stop there...)
As we were checking out I said to the very bored, somewhat grouchy cashier, "Before you even start ringing this up, my guess is $78.00. I haven't added a thing up in my head, but my last 6 Wal-mart receipts came to $78.00 no matter what was in my cart. Lets see if this is my new "thing"." She wasn't terribly amused, but warmed up to the idea. I told her that whether I was there for a few odds and ends or a weeks worth of groceries the grand total had been the same for weeks. It is odd. She got into it. I mean, really got excited. She became LIVELY! Laughing, chatty, she was like-- a real person! ;) When we got to the end of my order and it was $78.00 I thought she might fall over. (Truly, I did not add in my head, usually I do as I'm dropping things in my cart so I don't feel sick or shocked at the register, but today I was busy enjoying Eve.) If she could have given me the cartful of groceries for free she would have.
As we walked away she called out "THANKS! That was the most fun I've had at the job. Ever."
:) Isn't life just better when you smile and laugh while living it?
6 years ago



6 comments:
I love it. Who hasn't been to Walmart- or any store where the cashier has turned into a robot. Thanks for spreading your sunshine. The world needs more of that!
Wonderful! It's so great how you realize that the conditions exhibited by those who appear grouchy and negative can literally be turned around! When the choice is to catch their attitude or share yours -- not really a choice is it? Love you and your sunshine! Just think what you're teaching Eve, Henry, and the other kidlets!
There is a quote by Sister Hinkley that says something like "It's better to laugh and enjoy life. Besides, crying gives me a headache." I love her! It's true, it doesn't take much to brighten someone's day. You have a special gift for that.
Maybe you should do your Christmas shopping next. Christmas for $78! What a bargain. I wonder if you go back to that checker if she will remember you and cheer up again. i bet she went on break and told people about it. Maybe even shared the story with people at home.
This was a great post. I love that you enjoyed Eve so much. Isn't it a treat to get time with your children alone, or in a smaller group? It does make a difference.
I also love the cashier story. You really made her day! This brought a smile to my face. :)
This made me smile - I am so glad that employee had a blast! :D
Post a Comment