Monday, July 12, 2010

Valley Forge


What do you know about General Von Steuben? We know that when he came to the "Rebel Army" they were sloppy and a bunch of "nose Pickers". He taught them to stand straight. I like this quote by Steuben: . You say to your soldier, ‘Do this,' and he doeth it, but I am obliged to say, 'This is the reason that you ought to do that,' and then he does it.”


This must have been a pretty old tree... think George and his fellow officers had a picnic here too?
Funny thing... as we were walking Eve saw the wheels of that cannon from far away and thought it was a bicycle. When it became clearly evident it was a cannon she became more convinced it was a bike. ;) Stubborn child. I think today she still calls it a bike. A cannon on a bike...
This chapel was so beautiful! So reverent and interesting. We loved the soldiers on the pews, no 2 were the same.

A day at Valley Forge was terrific. I love living where we can learn about American History and then go and see it. Our kids know a lot of interesting facts--- more than me. It is great to be taught by them.

5 comments:

Kerren said...

Thanks for this great field trip post! The photos were super action shots with personality oozing out. Love you all SO much!

Emily said...

This is so cool. I like to think that I'd do this sort of thing if we lived in a place like you. We do do these things, but we could do them more. You are inspiring me!

Kristen said...

I want very much to be with your family right now!

Laura said...

What a very awesome way to spend July time. Looks like so much fun. History and fun. I think I needed to grow up back east.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Yay! another side trip necessitating a new visit with all of you.