Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Summers Coming... and that means nasty bathrooms.

I am so ready! I am ready to stop hustling the kids out the door. I am ready to stop worrying about packing lunches and finding matching socks. Oh The Socks! Hooray for days in swimsuits and flip flops. Hooray for playing on the swing set and filling up the wading pool. Hooray for freezer pops and bubbles and lots of trips to the library. I love summer!

I think, the only thing I dread about summer is the bathroom situation.
Last summer, I realized that my bathrooms, which are usually only used by kids for a few hours a day are hit harder in the summertime. Much harder.

If you know me very well, you know I have a thing about nice bathrooms. I don't like Public Restrooms. I mean, really don't like them. When my kids potty train, we keep a chair in the car, because I just.can't.do public potties. I can tell you all of the nice public restrooms at the Beach in Ocean City, MD, and in Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC. (Campo's in Philly really is nice, lovely arched doorway, gorgeous mirror and *always* clean.) (Plus, they have a fabulous cheesesteak.)

So, having my own personal bathrooms sink to the level of public restroom bad is a dreadful thing. This was my solution last summer:




We had a tutorial and it actually worked, for a the first few weeks at least... I think it blends into the wall now. I think I need a new sign this year, or maybe a new approach.. any suggestions?

2 comments:

Robin said...

So that's why we ate at Campo's! And I remember you reminding everyone (even Roland) to use the bathroom before we left.

Ike thinks that you should put the sign on the door. He also suggests that you use very bright yellow paper with blue ink.

Sally said...

I love the sign! Maybe just printing it on a different color of paper with new color on the illustrations will do the trick.

You could do random bathroom "spot checks", where every few days you announce that you are going to check the bathroom to see if all the things on the list are being done, and if they are and the bathroom is tidy, everyone gets a reward (otter pop?).

I remember Robin saying that she swore she'd never have a nasty dirty kid car and that it was inevitable that she would because she said she wouldn't. I think as a non-parent I was pretty good at *not* judging parents and saying things like "I'll never do...". But the one thing I did always think was that I *hoped* I'd be able to keep the bathrooms clean and the toilet and surrounding area pee-free. So far so good, but I'm not promising anything when I have teenage boys.