One of the many nice things about having "SO MANY" children is that when they are doing things that might be just a teensy bit annoying I can think "Oh, yeah, I remember when Michael was doing that when he was 9 and he doesn't bug me any more!" poor Michael. It took me a few years to figure this out, so I was probably overly hard on him about everything under the sun. I'm setting money aside for his counseling...
For example: I remember when my older kids were mastering their understanding of the English language... and figuring out how to turn it on me. This feels a little bit like arguing/sassing/looking for a mistake.... Like when you say "Go put on a cozy shirt it is going to be cold" and they come out dressed in a short sleeve shirt and say "You said I was going to be cold!!!" Or when you ask if they have brushed their teeth and they say "Yes." You question this and they say "Well, I brushed them yesterday, you didnt' ask if I'd brushed them just now!" This is very very "7" with my kids. I can ENJOY this annoying phase because I know it won't last.
Or, for example, when I walk into the bathroom and all of the towels are always totally and completely soaking wet. This is "4" at our house. Four is about learning and manipulating water. Pouring, soaking it up, squeezing it out... Won't it be nice when we can do water play outside? I can ENJOY this annoying phase because I know it won't last.
Or, another example, the toys spread from h#$% to Breakfast all. the. time. This is 2. Two's biggest job is moving stuff. Putting some things away even (if only we could find where he put my keys away for me!!!) Getting things out, moving them to a new location. I can ENJOY this annoying phase (just be careful where I step) because I know it won't last.
:) But, right now Henry and Lily are cuddling on the couch and she is reading him story after story and I should put them down for bed but--- I am ENJOYING this because I know it won't last forever either.
6 years ago



9 comments:
Do you have any idea how much I love and thoroughly enjoy your perspective on life's day to day events? And here's the most significant part -- it might be a "stage" one of my dear ones happens to be going through, but I think it's here to stay! No chance it's just a phase that you'll "outgrow!" It is YOU and it gives new meaning to many things in my life! I LOVE being the mom to you and your sibings. Thanks!
This post made me smile. It sounds so much like my house!
Perfect.
I think every mom needs to read this. I am enjoying the petulant teenager stage because I know it won't last. Right?
It is great that the stages come and go. It's like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank goodness for that! But mixed in there are all these wonderful moments, that we wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Thank goodness for that!!!
Ditto all of the above comments. This is such a good post and you are very wise. Love you1
You're amazing. I wish I always thought this way. It is not my strength.
Hi Melissa! Cute post! (And cute new look on your blog!) I love your silly comment about putting money away for Michael's counseling! It made me laugh! THANKS! I feel like that too sometimes! I hope I do more good than bad as "Mom"! xox Amy
What about the times when my son says, "mom can I give you a hug and a kiss" every night before he goes to sleep.
Or the times when my oldest changes the baby's diaper just because she wanted to.
Or when my 2 year old follows me around like a shadow and screams out, "mom where are you" if I happen to leave the room without her.
Or my newborn baby who rests his head on my shoulder when he falls asleep.
Please tell me that all of these things will last. There truly is opposites in all things.
Oh I love that post!! I am just nodding and laughing the whole way down, and then of course at the end...man...those are the things that make it all WORTH IT!!!!
Post a Comment