Dave and I were invited to the most Spectacular Birthday Party EVER! :) My Dad turned 70 and Bev threw him an amazing party. All of his children and spouses were invited to go on a Cruise with them. What an amazingly generous gift we all got for his birthday!
We were so excited. But, we have 5 kids. How do we do this? Oh yeah, Dave's amazing parents! They flew out and spent 8 exhausting days with our kids. The kids had an amazing time with them. There wasn't a single minute of our vacation that I felt nervous or worried about the kids. I knew they were in competent and LOVING hands. Every time we called we heard laughter. :) It was such a blessing that they were willing to come and do this for us.
Our first stop was Sally and Jason's house. The Peel family went to church and Dave and I napped. And nobody woke us up. It was Awesome! (Our flight left Philly at 6 so we had a very short night!) We enjoyed Halloween California style and loved watching their kids flitting around the yards handing out candy. They have such wonderful kids and it was so fun to see Sally and Jason. The next day we went to see Dave's Grandma Steimle. She is such a sweet lady. We got to see her new place and eat lunch in her dining room. (Couldn't help but notice the 45 different varities of walkers!) You can tell that everybody loves her! Every time we get to be with her feels like such a treat. She is such a positive cheerful lady.
Then Sally drove us to our ship. When we got to our room we had an invitation for the official Birthday Kick Off Party! It was such a total JOY to see my siblings. I haven't seen Will in almost 2 years, Jenny & Eric, and Amy & Chad it has been 4. We saw Angela and David 4 years ago and Heaven knows when we saw Joel last. Plus, we were able to meet his darling new wife Alicia. I kept crying. It was just so fun to be in a room with all these amazing people!
Jenny worked really hard to create a memory book for Dad. It was beautifully done. We enjoyed Pumpkin Pie, (Dad's favorite!) and watched the sunset and the land disappear.
The next morning... Wait. I have to tell you how cool it was to sleep in. It has been nearly 12 years since we actually slept in last. (well, at least me ;)) Even though Dave and I were not accustomed to Pacific Time and woke up at 5:30, it felt like we had slept forever! What a treat! The next day we spent on Catalina Island. It was so nice to just wander around together. My pictures are severely lacking in Joel & Alicia and Bev & Angela... I think because they ditched us and our GPS tour for shopping. :) We ate a wonderful meal (probably my favorite of the whole trip) and laughed and had fun.
The next day was spent in Ensenada, Mexico. We had a great time shopping and being touristy at La Bufadora. La Bufadora is one of the biggest blow holes in the world and was really really cool. Water shoots out of this little under ground cave (or something like that... I need to learn more.) My favorite part was when we were posing for a family picture and we had our backs to it and we all got soaked. Awesome!
The next day (are you tired of this trip yet? Tough. I'm not. It was awesome!) We spent the day on the ship. We played mini golf, read, relaxed, did music trivia with the cruise director and played shuffle board on the Lido Deck. :) Really, it was so fun just to hang out together and get to know each other again. I have an amazing family. Plus, we all wore matching cruise shirts and people asked us for directions and what time the black jack tournament started.
Our last day of vacation was spent in Disneyland. Holy Cow! It was so much fun! We had a great time going at our own pace, doing fun rides our little ones would hate (Space Mountain! I LOVE Space Mountain!) We got soaked on Splash Mountain and loved the fantastic fireworks. It was so hard to say goodbye to everyone and head back to our hotel. So hard. I was really weepy. I think mostly because I had anticipated this trip and spending time together, and it was Over! :(
When we came home I realized why they tell you on the plane to put your own oxygen mask on first before helping people around you (your kids). If you can't breathe you aren't of any use to anyone. This trip kind of felt like a giant dose of oxygen. We both came home feeling so refreshed and like our marriage was fresh. I had no idea how much Dave and I needed time together. It was hard to be away from our kids, but it was GLORIOUS to spend time together and relax without the pressure of day to day life! A million thanks to Dad and Bev, and Linda and Alan who made it possible!
6 years ago









10 comments:
I loved reading this! I love the pictures and I can't think of a more deserving couple for a wonderful adult vacation and breather than you and Dave! I'm so glad you got to go. It makes me very excited to see you in less than a month! YAY!
SUch a wonderful trip report. I looked at every single picture and was so happy to see that your sisters look like you! I bet I would like them. I think you and dave need your oxygen mask fix every year.
I'd like to leave a legible comment, but my vision is all "glurgy" due to teary eyes. What a treat for all of you to have this reunion! It is a delight to see and feel the love all of you share. Your photos and comments are terrific. Family is a wonderful plan! Love to all of you, and Happy Birthday to your Dad. What a great gift!
I loved this post which brought back memories of places I've visited, and faces of some of your family I haven't seen for a long time. It was a joy to be in your home with such amazing children. I volunteer to be there next year so you and David can have some together-alone time.
This must have felt like a second honeymoon.
SO COOL!!! I loved seeing all the pictures!! What an AWESOME chance you all had to be together!! I still remember being in awe seeing you and your siblings interact...with LOVE...I mean..you ALL love each other!! I hope someday, we will figure out that amazing trait!! You are all so neat, and I am so lucky to have had your examples in my life...
ANYWAYS...YAY for vacation...!!
hiii!:) thank you for your comment on my honeymoon blog. can i email you? i think we are going to go to washington dc/alexandria....or something but i would like your advice and we definitely want to come see you and your lil family. how long has it been?:) my email address is alexandrajhagerman@gmail.com
Excellent trip report. I am glad you had such a wonderful time. A vacation can sometimes be like a reset button for your life!
I am so happy for you.
What a fun trip, and getaway. I hope it recharged you and your hubbie for months to come! We all know we need all the recharge we can get!!!
Post a Comment