Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Such a Cool Kid.


 If you could choose a big brother, you'd choose Michael. He rocks.  I swear, the boy is so patient with the rest of these kids... Henry wanting to be big and playing with all his stuff and talking all night long... and the girls with all their fluffage and girlieness. We're so lucky to have him. He is gentle and thoughtful and always wants to do the right thing.  
There is this adorable little baby at church that only has eyes for Michael. :)  She loves him and responds sweetly to him and the feeling is mutual. He is really sweet with little kids.  I love this photo because it shows how excited he was to hear how Lily's first day of school was.




 Michael is a reader.  ha! Understatement. The boy loves reading. I love it when he reads Calvin and Hobbs because he is all alone in a chair laughing his head off! Love it! He got an e-reader for Christmas and I'm pretty sure has read more classics than me. This morning we loaded another book on there (coolest thing to be able to get library books at home on a snow day!)  He has managed to get straight A's again this marking period, school comes naturally for him, but remembering to turn things in on time and staying organized? Not as easy. He is rocking the Middle School.

Michael is picky! He has a limited number of foods that he likes, but when he likes it, he really does.  Feeding him has gotten easier though, he isn't  vocal about not liking things and is always gracious.  (Plus, he can make his own pb&j's now ;))  


A few weeks ago we had one of those days that I hope to never redo.  Amidst it all, what became so evident to me, was what an amazing boy he is.  After missing the bus (a crazy morning with Dave and I leaving the house before he did) he attempted to walk to school--  I mean, what 11 year old does that? It was freezing cold, he wasn't dressed to walk in the snow miles and miles and ended up turning around and returning home after going about 1.5 miles.  Scared, lonely, frozen, frustrated and worried.  It breaks my heart-- but also makes it swell with love and pride.  He is a good kid. (and we have a new action plan for random events!)

Michael is also an awesome trombone player! He is following in his Papa and Uncle Will's footsteps!  He had a great solo in his Winter concert,  Feliz Navidad!  I wanted to shout and holler when he finished, but I restrained myself. It was awesome though.  He is a part of the 6th grade band, the Jazz Band, and his teacher recently asked him to learn all the music so he can be in the Symphonic band (7th & 8th grade).  He is also a singer!  He was the LONE MAN in the 6th grade chorus. Bless his heart.  :)  I'm proud of him for sticking it out with those girls after the other boys all quit or were "let go".  I think a few more boys have this semester so he isn't quite so alone now.

Oh! He is also TALL!  Check him out in this video! He is totally not going to be the shortest deacon passing the sacrament by the end of this month. :)  I'm lucky to have a kid like Michael.  He teaches me new things, laughs with me, helps me out a lot and is really fun to be around. His teachers all love him and so do we!

9 comments:

Robin said...

Oh Michael! We love you!

Wendy said...

very impressive! I have to tell you, when Max is trying to tell me about a boy who is a really good kid...he says, "he is like my old friend Michael" he had left a positive impression on Max! So I agree that Michael is such a cool kid!

Kristen said...

I love that Michael is such a great brother! I noticed that about him and I also love that he plays the trombone (like Rocky), and loves to read, and is so responsible.

I love that Michael!!!!

Kerren said...

What an awesome post, Melissa! I have been eagerly awaiting as each precious child is featured just recently. It is so fun to see how you've captured their amazing strengths and personalities. Michael is very impressive and I love the way he's growing up! We miss all of you! Let's make plans to get together!
Love the musical video!

Karen said...

Hey loved all your posts about your kids. You are so good about being able to tell about their nature and personality. I have a hard time doing that. I admire your family!

Kirsten & Midge said...

I teach 6th grade and he does seem like an impressive young man. I introduced my student to Calvin and Hobbes this year and can you believe some kids are not even aware of this series. Shocking I know!

Linda Austin Hart said...

In so many ways Michael reminds me of his dad at that age...brightand inquisitive, sensitive and caring, talented, great sense of humor, and a joy to be around. Perhaps in July he and Rocky can have a trombone jam. We surely do love him!

Stamps Family said...

Oh Melissa! I loved reading these posts about each of your children. You did such a great job (as always)! What unique and amazing sweethearts they all are! Please give Michael, Jane, Eve, Lily, and Henry our love!

Sally said...

WOOO!

I LOVED this post! I wish I had read it sooner. He really is a great kid and I hope he's having a great birthday!

BTW, David was an awesome big brother so I know that Michael comes by it naturally. David was patient and tolerant of me. He let me be spazzy and annoying and rarely reacted. And he defended me when the neighborhood kids were mean!

I didn't realize how great M is at trombone and I am impressed. I would like to hear/see more of him playing.

We love Michael!