Monday, June 23, 2008

Day trip to the DC

Ok, hold on to your horses. I figured out how to create and post collages. Watch out world. Photos up the yingyang. :)(I think if you click on the collages, you can view them bigger.)

Last week we had the chance to meet up with my BIL in DC. He showed us around the Native American Museum and we had a great time. We picnicked on the White House lawn. It was a perfect day, not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, nice breeze. Very pleasant. Lily fell in love with Uncle Eric! We wish we could see him and his family more often.





After our picnic we wandered over to the statue of Einstein. These are the geniuses with the genius.




We went to the WW2 Monument. It is really neat, located directly between the Lincoln and the Washington Monuments (you can see them both in the pictures). It has great Bronze artworks that depict the war, Dave talked the kids through them all.



Unfortunately, Eve got feeling a bit... green and we left our mark on the Monument. Oops. Seriously though, leave me a comment and tell me what you would do if your kid puked all over a National Monument (and you were down to your last 3 wet wipes and had finished off the water bottles with your picnic... Not to mention we were at the "entrance"... lovely.)


Poor Kiddo!

Never fear, she perked right up. Just in time to spot Moroni and do a bit of temple ground touring. Lily was Fascinated by the golden plates. Fascinated.



Ok, so as to not appear perfect in blog, I have to mention the few things I didn't get pictures of, that didn't go exactly as planned...
  • getting lost behind the National Zoo, who knew you could get lost in the middle of the city? (Dave says we weren't lost.)
  • The guy walking down the street with his pants around his knees... very glad my camera wasn't in hand so I couldn't blog that. Ick!
  • Van overheating in the parking lot of Safeways... Me puking in the parking lot of Safeways while Dave went in to buy water for the van... (darn migraine).
  • Traffic Jam in the Harbor Tunnel- seriously who wants to be sitting still under the Inner Harbor? Claustrophobia anyone?
  • Dead Battery at the gas station in Baltimore... Henry deciding his new carseat wasn't "all that and a bag of chips", and crying alllll the way home.


All in all though, we had a great time, sang happy songs in the car to calm Henry, and feel blessed to live in such a great nation, and close enough to enjoy cool places.

4 comments:

Sally said...

What a great post. Pictures galore is good for me. That Henry is positively edible! Seriously!

I believe I have a photo of David with his finger up Einstein's nose when he came to visit me in DC 15 years ago! Funny.

Poor barfy Evie. Poor barfy you! What a drag. As for what I would have done: cried. Or ran away. And told someone official looking that "someone barfed over there".

Darren and Chrissy said...

I miss living close to all of that stuff! I love the nation's capital! I think if one of my kids puked all over a national monument, I would have done just what you did: casually walked away, and then blog the account for everyone to laugh at! That is a really good "party story" for her to tell later in life. And I am so sorry to hear about your migraine. I still get those and they are horrible! And horrible timing! I think I remember the Safeway you are taking about. Is it right off the beltway, close to the temple, on New Hampshire Ave. or something? I used to shop there all of the time when we lived near College Park, MD right after we were first married.
Anyway, I love the account of your trip. What is a road trip without a good "frowlup?" :)

Miss you!
Chrissy

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Thanks for the link to my blog (MormonHusbands.blogspot.com). I'm glad you like it. I saw that people had been referred to my blog from yours, so I thought I'd check yours out. Hope you don't mind.

I absolutely LOVED the picture of your son with his finger up Einstein's nose. It seems like something I would do, and I'm in my thirties. I laughed when I first saw it, and the cracked up when I realized it was Einstein. It is hilarious on so many levels.

-NMH

Maren said...

Melissa, I tagged you on my blog. I hope you are having a good week.

Maren
marensgarden.com