
My Olympic posts are delayed. Oh well. I'll start at the beginning, at the end...
We kicked off Olympic 2008 with a breakfast of Champions. Olympic Rings.
The kids found an Olympic cake in a book and made it. I only helped with the oven and the eating. Now if I can just get them trained to make healthy meals I'll have free time to blog.For Opening Ceremony dinner we ate Chinese. Kind of. I attempted home-made Chinese food. It tasted good, it disappeared off the plates, but it wasn't Joy Garden Chinese.
It has been fun to watch the Olympics. We sat with the Globe in hand as we watched the Parade of Nations, it was fun for the kids to find each country . I was struck by how beautiful the athletes from around the world all looked... We've let the kids stay up late each night (9:00 woo hoo!) watching the coverage with our kids. I've loved listening to my kids say things like "When I'm in the Olympics getting the gold for platform diving. will you come and watch?" or "When I am in the Olympics should I be a sprinter or a gymnast?" They all know that if they do anything on a high bar or a beam I'll have my eyes covered and just watch the instant replay. They also are all experts on perfect landings (no jump or step!), perfect handoffs (no fumbling or dropping that baton), no splash dives and Perfect Sportsmanship. Aren't the Olympics great?
My favorite Olympic moment was watching Bela Karolyi cheer on NastiaLiukin. It brought tears to my eyes. It was precious. I wish the video hadn't been deleted. He is so passionate! Here is a photo of him cheering. This is a link to the video, but I'm not sure it'll work if you don't install some fancy schmancy viewer... I also loved it when Shawn Johnson won a gold, her performance was great, but her parents hugging and crying was sweet and tender. And Michael Phelps, and that lightening Bolt kid! Wow.
I'm getting soft in my old age, I cry watching the Olympics! No, wait, I've always been a teary emotional basket case, now I just see it from the parent's POV and I get weepy. The emotions are so raw. Watching that Russian woman clear the pole vault, and seeing her instant joy... or the coach bury his face when his diver missed the mark... or the gymnast who cried, because she knew she was capable of more and just choked. It all gets me right here, and I get all verklept and fan my face to keep the tears from falling ;)
Good for us, even though the Olympics are over, we have hours and hours of Tivo'd "lypstick" to watch still!



8 comments:
NO KIDDING! Pretty amazing from beginning to end! I'm glad that all of you experienced it in such significant ways. See, there's alot to be said for "stay-ca-tions" when we can watch it all from the comfort of home. Way to go! And about those teary moments, you can't help it -- you come by it naturally.
Love you,
Mom
Oh, they make me cry too. It is so touching to see the hard work pay off, or the sadness when it doesn't. Especially when there's an error, like the dropped baton. So sad.
I love that cake! You are a great mom, melissa! :)
I love that you do theme things with your kids. I wish I was more creative like you:)!
Th globe idea is smart. What a great way to teach geography!
You are so amazing! I have got to be more creative. And I love the term "stay-ca-tion" - I'm adding that to my vocabulary!
I got goose bumps just reading your post. You are such a GREAT mom! I wish I would think of fun things in an educational way. My mind doesn't work that way anymore. I need to work on that. What great kids you have.. did they clean up too???
My Maryland grandkids surely have an awesome mother!
I cry also. It is so moving even just the commercials. I love people, small, regular people accomplishing so much. my fav was the swimmer with 1 leg. what an amazing lady!!!!
Kim
Post a Comment