I'm embarrassed to admit that my knowledge of the story of Moses is weak. To say the least. (Was there a Disney about Moses? I think I saw one!) I know about the plagues and manna and the whole Red Sea business, but I didn't know " the rest of the story". I guess I always figured they made it safely to the promised land and lived happily ever after. (Please cut me some slack, we studied Old Testament my senior year and I did a fair bit of... "missing" class that year.)
Anyway, today I came across Joshua. I felt a bit shocked to realize that Moses eventually died (at 120!) and Joshua had the "glory" of leading the children of Israel into the promised land, complete with all the excitement of the whole walls of Jericho crumbling thing and even more drama! I mean, bummer! After all that work Moses put in, he didn't get to reap the "rewards"!
But then.... My mind instantly went to the sister in our ward who passed away this week after a courageous battle with cancer. She was a young grandma with young grandchildren. She and her sweetheart had plans for travel abroad this spring, plans to watch their children be parents and their grandchildren grow up-- in many ways, she is missing the "glory" of entering the Promised Land! The fruits of her labors!
But then... Before Moses died, the Lord showed him the Promised Land, Moses had had the opportunity to be so close to the Lord, to watch the children of Israel learn (after wandering for 40 years!), there had to be great reward in that... and the amazing Sister... I bet she had a glimpse, I know the veil was thin. I know that in her last days she smiled at her grandson blowing her kisses, that her family surrounded her and poured out their love to her. She put in hard years of teaching, training, working, relying on the Holy Ghost to guide her in parenting--- all the time seeing her family following our Saviors plan. There had to have been great reward in that.
That's all. My Sunday thoughts today. I'm also still hooked on the message read today in church,
“Money is not the only need in Haiti,” the statement continued. “People are frightened, bewildered, and wholly uncertain about their future. In addition to what people can do in helping with food, water and shelter, there needs to be a calming influence over that troubled nation. We invite people everywhere to supplicate God for a spirit of calm and peace among the people.”
Supplicate God. I love that, I know we can help those struggling people feel a spirit of calm and peace. How important is that!
I also love knowing 100% of money given to the Humanitarian Aid goes to help those in need. No overhead, no publicity, no advertising or paying the CEO, just plain help. Lovely indeed.
6 years ago



6 comments:
This was a good Sunday posting. The Old Testament is a great course of study because it contains so many stories of faith and examples of virtue rewarded. I hope all your readers will go to lds.org newsroom and after reading about the all volunteer relief and medical aid being given will click on humanitarian aid donations. NONE of the money is used for administrative fees or personnel. It ALL goes directly to relief.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
What a beautiful post. I am glad that you shared your thoughts this way, you are a gifted writer.
The idea of missing the big payoff was one of the things that upset me most when Joyce died. It's horrible to think about. But I also believe that she must be really enjoying herself now, surrounded by loved ones and getting to see the lives of all of her children and grandchildren, all the time. We miss her, but she must be happy.
Profound thoughts and a wonderful perspective, Melissa. I love what I learn from and with you! Every now and then, I can sense a thought or impression that I know comes through because of some angel, most likely one of your grandparents -- know I need their help. It is lovely. I love you!
Sally, I think that is the thing... maybe our "promised land" isn't at the end. Maybe the big payoff was/is the years of sloppy kisses, childrens prayers, chubby hands patting our backs as we soothe them, sticky floors and peanut butter sandwiches... I'm reminded of a quote by President Monson,
"I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive, non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you wan tto do. Instead, find JOY IN THE JOURNEY--NOW." (my emphasis.)
Find joy in the journey NOW. I love that. So many times in our life we tell ourselves we will be happy when....instead of being happy now.
Post a Comment