Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Normal"

Seven years ago, when Eve was a baby, we had lots of ups and downs. One of our lowest came when she was about 4 months old. She caught a cold. No big deal for most babies, but huge for Evie. I remember sitting with her in the ER on a Monday night, and the doctor telling me, "She has a cold. Babies get them. Go home." She was nice, but condescending. The next morning at a follow up visit with our pediatrician, she turned blue. We left there in a helicopter and spent the following month in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, with a lovely private room, our own personal nurse, a team of doctors who would listen and ask if she always sounded like that (what a cough!!!) and a great view of the princess tower. ;)

During the time Eve was in the hospital, many of the days felt like life and death at any time... she had a machine breathing for her and day by day was getting weaker not stronger. I remember coming home one night while Dave stayed with her for the evening. I did laundry and cleaned the toilets and tucked sweet Michael and precious Janey into bed. Normal. On my way back to the hospital I stopped at the store and bought milk and macaroni and cheese. Normal. As I stood in the line I thought, "I haven't held my baby in weeks, she could die. A machine is breathing for her. My arms ache for her and I'm tired of pumping. I want to hold her. I want normal life again" I wondered how many people in the store that night had big huge things going on in their lives, but had to keep going with the "normal" stuff. It was hard, but Eve is strong and God has a plan for her. We were so blessed at that time to have so many friends and family reach out and carry us through those tough days.

Today we had a joyful playdate with Samuel, Levi and their Dad. I can pronounce his name, but I wont' attempt to spell it. They are visiting their Grandma from NYC, she is a friend of ours and is dying. They came to play, to burn off some energy, get a change of scenery.... and hopefully have some fun during these difficult days. As I dropped them off on our way to swim club after we played for a few hours, I noticed in front of their house the cast off Christmas tree. Normal. I was struck with the thought of how NOT normal the goings- on in that house are... hospice in and out, a hospital bed in the bedroom, medicines and schedules and crying and planning.... It occurred to me how little we know about anything. Anyone driving by that house would think "Life is fine, normal." Anyone seeing me buying milk at the market 7 years ago would have thought "life is fine, normal". We just don't know! I often think that... when standing in a line or watching someone who doesn't seem to be coping very well, I think, "I wonder what else is going on that we just don't see."

Tonight we roasted marshmallows over the fire for Family Home Evening snack. It was fun and normal. But my thoughts were with others. My sweet Uncle Bud is nearing the end of his 9 year battle with cancer. It is my prayer that someone somewhere in Idaho and Utah recognizes how not "normal" life is for his precious family and reaches out to them. I wish I were there to do it.

11 comments:

Robin said...

Eve is such a wonderful child, all your children are. I remember well how concerned we all were for your entire family when you were going through all that. I know what you mean by "normal". today I saw my neighbor getting her mail, "normal" her husband died last month leaving behind 3 young children. But anyone seeing her get her mail would think "normal". We never know how and what people suffer. Another reason to be kind to all.

Kerren said...

Reaching out. . . oh Honey, you just did. Proximity isn't always necessary -- your tender comments are ever more helpful than you could know.Those days/months/years with precious Evie's fragile health hopefully taught all of us to be more patient, more gentle, and more understanding. Certainly they taught us that prayers are heard and answered, and that sometimes we need to try to be an answer to someone else's prayers. I love you! Mom

Kristen said...

This post spoke to my heart. Teary eyed I sit here and know exactly of what you speak. It is an enlightened thing to realize that we only see a glimpse of people's lives, we don't know and can't understand what is going on behind those "normal" activities we witness.

Thank you for sharing this. My thoughts and prayers are with your Uncle Bud and all who love him.

Jeralee said...

What a great post. Loved to hear your thoughts and musings on watching those you love struggle. How hard that must have been when Eve was a baby and in the hospital. How fortunate you are to be able to help out those friends of yours. This was good food for thought. I have thought about this a bit as my cousin gave birth to a full term baby last month. He died 3 hours after birth from a heart defect. How hard she works every single day to put a smile on her face, even though you can see the emptiness in her eyes.

I am thinking of your Uncle Bud and his family and friends around him, hoping they have some comfort in this transitioning stage.

Brent Robinson said...

I remember well waiting for Evie to win the fight and get out of that hospital. I also remember her mother's strength, faith, and cheerfulness - and her ability to maintain a sense of "normalcy" for Michael and Jane... and the rest of us. Your children are so lucky to have you as their mother!!!

I also remember Bud in "normal" times. As a young man he was so full of energy and had such a great sense of humor. He always wanted to do something for you! I guess now he is going throug a very tough, but "normal" process. I'm sure he will be sorely missed by his family and those that love him - but they will be comforted by good memories.
I love you Lissa Lou, Dad

Synergy Girl said...

I loved this post...I don't know if it is just being pregnant, but I have had very traumatic dreams of losing my one or more of my children, and it is so devistating that I find myself bawling...and it hasn't happened. I think about how blessed I am that I have four healthy kids, and how much do I take it for granted??

Sally said...

I am so glad you wrote this post. Your thoughts are deep and eloquent. I am also so grateful that Eve survived that period in her life.

I hope that I will have the insight and sensitivity to help those whose lives are not normal.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Melissa, you are a bright sunny part of my life. I am so grateful for you.

Lórien said...

What an introspective post. It is so true.

Amy said...

You sure are good at putting thoughts into words! I remember having similar thoughts when Chad was on a respirator in the hospital after his accident. How weird it felt to walk into the grocery store! I felt like I was not in the same place as the others around me- but you're right! You never know! And I too often wonder if others are just trying to do the "normal" things, but experiencing something terribly hard.
I'm so thankful that hard time for you is over, and Eve is strong! I too have thought so much about Uncle Bud and his closest family members. Now that he's passed away I think of how time continues to march on even when it seems like just breathing would be a difficult task.

FamilyLife said...

That is a very sweet post. It has been a joy to feel your spirit as you share. Thanks for doing it.