Sunday, August 17, 2008

School Days, Schoool Days....

Warning: totally disjointed post.

Only 7 more days till school starts.

Yowza. I can hardly believe summer is over.

I always feel a mixture of anticipation, dread, excitement, sadness when School starts again. Part of me craves the structure and routine and part of me dreads it. I might have some bi-polar tendencies.

My friend Paula put it best today at church, she said, "In the spring, I'm so ready to have the kids home and quit running all the school errands so I can get something done. Then at the end of the summer I feel like once the kids go back to school I'll get something done... maybe the truth is I'll never get anything done." (this is a loose quote here, I didn't actually grab my paper and write down her exact words... but it is the gist.) I feel the same way!

This woman wrote a terrific blog post about Back to School Traditions--here is her great post. She has a wonderful lesson plan for a back to school Family Home Evening (go here if you want to know what on earth FHE is.) I really like her ideas and am totally going to copy her this week. (probably not gluing me foot to my shoe, but the rest of it.) I had been thinking of how we could start the school year off on the right foot... I think this is the ticket!

I skip New Years Resolutions in January. I do them in September instead. Here are my personal goals:
  1. Get up and showered/dressed before the kids are up. (This will be a challenge because I am a horrible/wonderful mom who lets Henry come to bed with me from about 4:30a.m. on each morning. He is so delicious and snuggly and I love how he smells. I love the sound of a quiet house and a gulping baby. I love the feel of his chubby little warm body... going to be hard to get out of bed.)
  2. Plan better breakfasts and dinners. "plan" being the operative word here.
  3. Create good routines to provide a nice environment from 4-8 every day. Those are usually the crazy hours... everybody needs something,homework, activities, coming, going, dinner burning, baby fussing....
  4. Limit personal computer time when kids are home and awake.
There you go. My goals. I have about 20 more, but didn't want to bore anyone. Those are the biggies.

7 comments:

Robin said...

I am impressed by your plan. I especially like your description of a quiet house and a gulping baby...memories...sigh.

I found it helpful to have calm music quietly playing in the background when the kids came home. It seemed to calm them.

Lórien said...

I love all your goals and can tooootally relate to the 4:30am routine. Your description was perfect. I think I will sit down and do these goals today.

Great post!

Wendy said...

I totally agree with getting nothing done weather the kids are in school or not. My kids started school almost a month ago so we are well into our routine... I still can't find a good time to get to a grocery store. Busy, busy mom!

Sally said...

These are excellent goals, thank you for sharing them. Maybe we should share meal plans, because I know I could use help in that department (well, in every department). So...what's for dinner tonight?

I like Robin's idea of quiet music when the kids get home from school.

I think your goal to get up, showered and dressed before your kids even wake is awesome. I hope you can find the energy you need to do it, because what a great start to your and their day.

Anonymous said...

Great goals, Lissa. I know you can do it -- but there will undoubtedly be some sacrifices. I guess we all just have to decide which ones are worth it! This
routine will make a big difference in many ways, but don't let it get you down. I love Robin's idea about the music -- it works on Sundays, doesn't it? I was wondering if you knew that I used to set the table at night before I went to bed -- empty dishwasher, plan lunches, etc. The A.M. clocks are on "fast-forward" time. Best wishes as you get this going!
I love you!
Mom

Linda Austin Hart said...

what a great post! reminds me of getting my own kids up & out the door on time. Good goals, and you can do it!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I want to see pictures of the first (or later) day of school.