Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Spoiled.

This summer I decided to indulge myself. I knew we wouldn't be taking any grand vacations (our beach trip was a delightful last minute treat from Linda!) and I wanted summer to feel like a treat-- even though there was bound to be dishes, laundry and life to keep up with.

So I read! I just let myself jump into books! What a treat! I'm going to have to put the brakes on now that we are back in school mode. I don't function all that well when I'm in the middle of a book-- well, unless you call "cold cereal for dinner because mom is reading" functioning....
Titles:
  • The Giant Joshua, re-read because I love this book and love the strength of the characters.
  • Harry Potter 1-7, I'm glad I read them, it was fun because Michael and I read them at the same time. I had thought we might go see movie #6 in the theater, but after renting #5 I'm thinking no. We'll wait for it to come out on DVD. I still can't figure out how Dumbledore's orientation plays into anything. Color me confused.
  • So You Want to Raise a Boy, always a great read. I love how well the author of this book knows boys, it helps me realize what is going on in Michael and Henry's head. Raising boys is so good.
  • Jane Austen, can you go wrong? I keep this in the car for when I have a 45 minute piano lesson to sit through. Plus, with a Jane Austin of my own...
  • What to Learn Each Year, or something like that... I liked this one, it made me feel excited about learning with Jane this year!
  • Guiltfree Motherhood-- after spending all summer reading this was a nice relief from the guilt I was feeling! Honestly though, a great book.
  • Fire of the Covenant, Perfect book to read the week your hot water heater breaks. Seriously. Boiling water on the stove to wash dishes in the sink felt absolutely luxurious compared to the Willey-Martin handcart companies. I think Dave was glad I was reading this too. Cold shower? No problemo! At least I'm not wading through a frozen river wtih my 17 lbs worth of posessions on 4 oz of flour a day... (btw, amazing Dave fixed the water heater. he can do ANYTHING!)
  • The Well Trained Mind, another book to motivate me to plan well and Learn with Jane.
  • C-Jane Enjoy it! Blogger c-jane, cheerful insightful, fun to read. (thanks for loaning it Maren and again, so sorry it got water logged.) (Reminder to self, never borrow signed copies of books that you can't replace if the cover gets slightly damp from a kids wet swim towel....)
  • The Thomas Jefferson Education-- this book gave me a list of classics to read and re-read! I really love the authors philosophy.
I'd love to know what you've read this summer! Please, I promise to control myself and still make dinner for my family. ;)

9 comments:

Robin said...

They don't have the giant joshua on goodreads or the library so i found it on Amazon and just added it to my wish list.

I need to read "raising boys". I hope it isn't too late for me.

Robin said...

Raising boys isn't in the library either! Ack! Another book on my wish list!

Thanks for the wonderful list of books. You are a good reader of good books.

Melissa said...

Oh Robin! I thought you'd read The Giant Joshua. I think you'll love it. I reminded me of These is My Words, combined with Saints. Not for the faint of heart/testimony, but an excellent story.

I tried Peace Like a River, but it made me too sad so I stopped 1/2 way. I never stop reading a book. There were a few other titles (maybe 5?) from the library that I read.

Sally said...

How awesome. That is my idea of a vacation. I just read The Hunger Games, it was interesting and compelling, but definitely not cheerful!

I love reading. LOVE IT.

davers said...

Thptpt! Reading is for people who don't know how to seriously watch TV.

Just kidding!
;)

I also love to read. I like to write too ... which is why I think it's so cool that Laura wrote a book ... and a good one.

Melissa said...

Dave! I should have totally photographed Alvor, technically I read it pre-summer, but I love it so much I'll read it again soon. :)I think I'll edit and add it to my list of great summer reads.

Sally, I've heard about Hunger Games...

Jeralee said...

Impressive Melissa - very impressive! Maybe you should compare notes with my Moura. She reread all 7 harry Potter Books for the second time and about 10 Nancy Drew books... and who knows what else!

You really, really, really want to know what I read this summer? Well, I guarantee that it won't pull you away from your dishes or laundry duty.
"A Mind at a Time" by Mel Levine - M.D.
"Caged in Chaos - A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free." by Victoria Biggs
and "The Mislabeled Child" by Brocke Eide.

There you have it - a snore fest.

Now, if you want to discuss trivial t.v. programs, well, I am all ears. he he.

And that concludes my marathon comment.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

I'd like to borrow The Giant Joshua. I still haven't read it.

Alexis Jacobs said...

Good list! What is the Giant Joshua about? I am intrigued.