Wednesday, September 23, 2009

And the rains came 'a tumbling down...


“Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a rock—

“And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.

“And every one that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand—

“And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell, and great was the fall of it” (3 Nephi 14:24–27).

It is interesting to notice that the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew against both houses! Living the gospel does not mean that we will everlastingly escape adversity. Rather, it means that we will be prepared to face and endure adversity more confidently.--Elder Rafael E. Pino

I'm glad we built on the rock.

6 comments:

Kerren said...

Do you have any idea how happy I am to realize that you understand these principles and continue to teach me (your mom) along with those others who are near and dear to you? You are an amazing blessing in my life and I love you all the way to the moon and back! I often need to be reminded of these very things -- I suppose we all do! Thank you!

Laura said...

I guess that's why we have to dance in the rain.

Jeralee said...

If we didn't have adversity, we wouldn't need the Atonement. And since the Atonement is for every person, we need trials and adversity in our life.

Nice post.

Sally said...

Amen!

Robin said...

I agree Melissa. It has been raining hard over here and I am SO glad that we are on rock.

Rock on. (is that sacrilegious?)

Sally said...

Thanks for sharing this thought - I love light, misty rain and overcast days, but not the heavy downpours. It's a good reminder about being strong and trying to cling to the rock.
Newark Sally