Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mary? Is that you?

Yesterday the kids and I were running (literally- we move fast so Henry doesn't' scream and climb out of the cart) through K-Mart. We walked past a woman wearing a lovely head covering and a flowing outfit... I wish I knew more about the names of these garments, but I don't and I have to go make cookies so I can't google. Anyway, Lily stopped running and turned to her, looked at her and said "MOMMY! Is that Mary? She is soooo beautiful."

:) The sweet young woman was totally flattered. Thank goodness. You never know what your 4 year old will say. At the drive through she commented on the beautiful brown skin the girl had. I don't think that was offensive. I hope not!

7 comments:

Robin said...

Not offensive at all! Very sweet.

Kerren said...

"Out of the mouth's of babes. . . . Lily is so precious, and her observations are wonderful. I remember walking across the quad with a group of chldren from USU's preschool and hearing a chld say, "Hello Jesus" to a middle eastern exchange student who was dressed in what looked like "Jesus clothing." He just called it like he saw it . . . no hesitation whatsoever.
Love it!

Stamps Family said...

I love it! What a sweet girl! Can I borrow her? I need Lily to help me with my errands! Actually I think I need time with You, Dave, Henry, Eve, Jane, and Micheal too! I miss your family soooo much! Thanks for sharing the sweet simple moments that make my days brighter!

Katie said...

I love that little girl! I first read the post yesterday and thought about it again while doing the dishes this morning. It made me smile.

Synergy Girl said...

That is adorable!!! I love it!!

Anna Banana said...

I think you're referring to a hijab. I agree with Lily - a very pretty way of dressing indeed! My daughter did a report on the Islam religion last year and even interviewed a lady. It was fascinating.

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

Definitely not offensive and definitely sweet!! It's wonderful that she's learning to appreciate everyone's differences, but isn't it funny how we get nervous in these "politically correct" times. At least, I do.