Sunday, July 27, 2008

Can't believe we missed this!



Shucks! I can't believe we missed this. The Demolition Derby is the highlight of the County Fair! It is the Redneck Reward for dragging our sorry selves through the Stinky Stalls of Fame. (side note here: is it normal to walk through the cow-barn with the cows tied to the outside walls... so you walk through an aisle of giant cow behinds? I much prefer walking around the outside of the cow-barn and seeing their beautiful big eyes and lovely lashes.) The fair eluded us this year, I didn't even know it was happening till last night, and Dave took the big kids to a baseball game instead.

The first year we saw the "derby" I kept covering my eyes and saying "I can't believe this! This is crazy! They are ruining their cars!" By the second year I was hoping a car would catch fire (of course with no harm to the driver...) How funny to get married and then crash into each other in a giant game of bumper cars!

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080726/NEWS/807260334

Do they do these derby's at all county fairs these days or is it a Maryland thing?

7 comments:

Darren and Chrissy said...

Oh, they do the derby at the fairs in Kansas. We went to the Franklin County Fair last week with our cousins and it is exactly the way you described it! It's so fun to go, but after 2 hours of sweatiness and the smell of nicotine mixed with cotton candy, we are through for another 12 months! I love to people watch- I swear I saw Larry the Cable Guy twice! I heard a conversation that sums it all up:

Little boy: Dad, I am really thirsty and hungry. Can we go get something?

Dad: Naw, it's too expensive and I don't want you pukin' it all back up on the rides!

Enough said.

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

Check out my latest post and let me know if my memory is failing. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering Blythe and Michael. I love seeing the kiddos and all their doings. In fact, Blythe loves hearing stories of all of us and then seeing current pics of Michael and the others that follow. It's like a "partner in crime" for her, I think.
I also am loving that you call the babe Hank the Tank. So true.
And, is it just me? Or have we changed and evolved since having our one child?

Sally said...

I have never heard of this! It sounds really fun.

I am with you--big pretty cow eyes are better than cow behinds.

Melissa said...

Chrissy, that is a funny convo to overhear. (true that I can see the Dad's point, but somewhat backwards!) And that is the exact smell, manure, cotton candy, nicotine and beer... and with the sticky humidity. Lovely.

Stephanie- I'm going to comment on your blog. We've come a long way haven't we? I shudder to think of how clueless I was. (and I imagine 10 years from now I'll look back and think of how clueless I am at this stage of the game.)

Sally- your boys would love it. They just ram the cars into each other till they are too crashed up to move anymore. Last one moving wins. Crazy!! There is steam and smoke and bumpers dangling and dragging. It is loud and rowdy.

Robin said...

Did you get a new blog header? It looks nice!

I would love to got to a derby and I think it is great that you went. I'm gonna see if they have them here.

Anonymous said...

I was sad we missed it too. We wanted to go but you know with us being soooo busy and all time just escaped. Love your blog!!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I remember going to the fair with you (3-4 years ago?) and watching the demolition. Really, everyone should have this experience! Remember how much fun the kids had in the goat barn?! Such a great memory for me.