Monday, November 10, 2008

Beautiful.

I was stopped in the car, waiting on road construction.
The dump truck ahead of me decided to do a U-Turn, the road construction engineer came to speak to me.
He said "Hi Gorgeous, wait just a minute then you can go."
Gorgeous. He must be referring to the 2 children in the back seat.
He came again, my window still rolled down. "You can go now. You really have a beautiful smile."

I blushed, then practically cried. A complete stranger. Why would this make me feel so good?

I'm going to start giving out more compliments. The woman at the market was amazingly grouchy and gruff. The orneriest I've met in a while. Is that a compliment?

8 comments:

Holly said...

Hi Melissa! I'm so sorry I haven't done this sooner, but I wanted to thank you for all of your kind comments on our blog. You can really tell who else has gone through the whole NICU/sick baby thing, because those are the comments that really help. Thank you for your words of encouragement, and thanks for sharing your experience with us also. Your comments have truly been some of the most helpful and comforting things I've had throughout this whole experience, so thank you very much. I appreciate you checking up on us--it's nice to know that people still care about us (or Tucker at least)! Again--thank you so much.

Wendy said...

That is nice to get such a sweet complement,from a complete stranger...but a little scary.(to me)

Robin said...

I think you are beautiful. Bless that dear man's heart for pointing it out. You need to hear that more often. I bet if we asked your kids who the most beautiful woman in the world is they would say you.

And - you do have an exceptionally wonderful smile.

I understand why that made you a little weepy. Unexpected niceness can do that.

Maren said...

I've always thought you were gorgeous and have an incredibly beautiful and photogenic smile. What a nice, honest, man. I love that.

Anonymous said...

Way to give your day a little boost. I wonder if he knows what those few little words did for you. You are truely beautiful inside and out.

Emily said...

I think that is sweet.

Sally said...

You are a babe! And I totally understand why that would make you feel that way. I thought this post was really touching.

Kristen said...

I like how Robin put it, "unexpected niceness". I got a note in the mail about 3 weeks ago from someone in my ward who I've probably only had two real conversations with ever. She told me how nice I am and that I always make her feel good. I cried for about an hour, then I called to thank her and cried so hard I could hardly talk.

Unexpected niceness...that is my goal, to deliver that as often as possible.

And, you truly are one of the most beautiful people I know.