Today is my Dad's Birthday. He turns 68 today. He is awesome. As I was thinking of things he has taught me through the years, the love of taking pictures is high up there.
5 things My Dad has taught me:
- One great shot is worth taking a whole roll. Now that he converted me to digital I take gobs in hopes of getting one great shot. (He and Bev gave us a great camera 2 years ago... hoping for the occasional picture of grandchildren, I wonder if they regret it?)
- The glass is half full.
- Enjoy them. A few years ago Dad and Bev were visiting and he taught me this. He and Dave and Michael had gone to the hardware store (the "why the hardware store" will be clear, wait for #4.) and he noticed Michael was holding Dave's hand. He came home and told me to treasure the time that they hold your hand.--- Dad, if you read this, I'd hold your hand at Home Depot any day. :)
- Put guests to work. No really, I think he taught me this. In the past 7 years, Dad and Bev have built a swing set / play structure (a terrific wooden one), installed a fridge, microwave, oven and dishwasher and built a TERRIFIC deck (the foundation was a killer, but we all know about the value of a firm foundation right?) They have also made and CLEANED Thanksgiving a few times when I had a month old baby in my arms and plans for Boston Market. ..... reading this I am realizing why they might have cancelled the last trip out here....
- I am from good stock. Dad has told me this, he has sent me family histories of amazing, strong, courageous ancestors. He and Mom are good. I kid not, they are two of the healthiest people I know. I Cherish the fact that I am from good Idaho Stock (sounds cattle-ish, but I'm still lactating, so this doesn't rub me wrong.) I have known all my life the kind of people that came before me and what my potential and my obligation is.
Happy Birthday Dad!



5 comments:
What a lovely post and a great tribute. Happy Birthday to Melissa's Dad!
btw, 568 is not that bad. I took 140 on just Thursday and Friday of this last week. Scary.
I love spending time with my father in law. Brent is again another reason why "in-law" jokes just aren't that funny to me.
He also helped raise the most awesome group of kids ... especially Melissa. I'm eternally indebted to him.
It touched me so much to read about your dad. I would give anything to have my dad back so I could hold his hand for just a little while. And Charlie would totally agree - he often would take a whole roll of pictures to get one good shot - of course that was much easier, and less expensive! - once he went digital. I know your dad is special just knowing you.
Newark Sally
This is really sweet! You have some awesome parents! I'm so glad they raised you the way they did. You are an amazing woman!
"I Cherish the fact that I am from good Idaho Stock (sounds cattle-ish, but I'm still lactating, so this doesn't rub me wrong.)"
Were you trying to make me laugh with this? Because it made me laugh. You are so awesome!
Post a Comment