I've been caught with my

and my

Often with a

That is a sleeping Henry in my arms. I love snuggling sleepy babies.
I'm re-reading one of my all time favorite books. It is called The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas. I read it first a few years ago in a ward book club. After the first 20 pages I was confused by Roman traditions, and government offices, after 20 more pages I was bored. 20 more pages I was confused and bored. I don't know how to pronounce old Roman names, I can't picture the location much, or relate well to the character lives... why did I keep reading?
Page 101.
This is the scene of the Triumphal Entry into the city. Christ is seen for the first time by one of the characters and His impact, though from a distance, has a great impact on Demitrius.
I really love this book. I love to read it as I am preparing myself for Easter.... it is lovely to think of the people who saw Christ, who walked with Him, talked with Him, learned at His feet, and how they felt when He was gone. While the book is complete fiction, I love to think of how it must have been, for those whose lives He touched in His days... and to remember all that He did for me and how blessed I am.
If you read it, you have to promise me not to quit till you get to page 101. After that, you are on your own, but I bet by then, you'll want to keep reading. :) If you want to borrow my copy let me know, it is worn and my favorite passages are marked, but I'd gladly share it.



10 comments:
I love to read while nursing or with a sleeping child on my lap...
I love that you read -- and testify of this book, it's message and the impact on your life. It's time I give it a try. I'm going to ask Bruce to help me put it on our Kindle right now! I'll certainly make it through the first 101 pgs.
Thanks for the reminder of what it's all about!
Love you!
Mom
Kindle Karen? Awesome! You are so tech savvy! Melissa, I intended to read this book, then put it off, then forgot, and now I'm wondering if I can find it at the library. I kinda even want to try tomorrow, even though it is Sunday...so...I'll wait until Monday. ;-) Thanks for posting this!
Emily - you can find it at the library. Melissa - you are lucky to have such a cool old copy of the book. I loved The Robe too and now when I hear stories of Jesus, I am able to picture them better.
Emily, go for it on Sunday, I think it is a totally acceptable Sunday activity, it is a book about Jesus! :) But, once you've read the library's copy order one for yourself off Ebay (that is where I got mine--$2.) I really love it... The author isn't LDS, but the testimony it bears of the divinity of the Savior is beautiful, and it is so interesting to think of the impact He had on people in His own time, I never had stopped to think of it.
You are darling, with or without your nose in a book.
I also want to know what a "kindle" is.
I have had this book sitting on my desk for a month! Check out again and again from the library, ever since you and Robin recommended it. I want to read it. I better, soon, because I can't renew again, so thank you for the reminder.
I love that picture of you reading! I've never heard of that book... sounds good, and good timing in preparation for Easter!
Is it the same as the movie "The Robe". If so, I loved the movie, but have not read the book.
Maren, read the book! I'll loan you mine or we can pick it up at the library. I gave up on the movie after about 20 minutes because it just didn't do justice to the book--- but maybe it is like reading past page 101 and I need to see the movie! :)
Post a Comment