Wednesday, April 15, 2009

We spent the day yesterday in DC. The kids and I wandered around outside the temple until it started to rain and we were too cold, then we went to the visitors center. The flowers were so pretty. I took tons of pictures... I love that they have this major deer proof netting stuff on top of the flowers. Smart! I was surprised, the Cherry Blossom Festival was a week or two ago, but the blossoms on the trees were still pretty thick. It was very pretty.

As we were leaving DC, Michael says, "I can't wait to go to school tomorrow and tell my friends about today." -- then, in his most casual, nonchalant way of speaking he says, "Yeah, we went to Washington DC yesterday. We saw a movie, walked around the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, our car almost got stolen, and we saw Obama's motorcade. It was an ok day." Dave and I smiled and laughed. It was a pretty cool day.
I love my husband. He loves his boy. He opted to carry all 30-something lbs of Henry through the FDR memorial rather than push him in the stroller-- I think because he just likes to hold him and talk to him and see his reactions to things close up. We saw ducks in one of the fountains. Awesome!

9 comments:

Darren and Chrissy said...

I would say that was a pretty cool day! I miss living there close to all of the neat history. It's great you are taking your kids on such neat trips. And the blossom pics are beautiful! I love spring!

Anonymous said...

BEEEE-U-tiful blog post! Wow! Your photo collection is splendid. Not only are the flowers colorful, spectacular -- really, but your precious children are just as beautiful. I'm so glad that despite the drizzle, you made it such a great day. Loved the expressions on those cute faces -- and Michaels summation of the day was totally "Michael!" Loved it! and love you all.
Mom/Grammie XOXOXOXO

Pennsylvania Hendershots said...

Hi Melissa! I love the pictures! - and I love DC! What a pretty time to visit- I be the temple grounds were just beautiful- they always are!

Question for you- how do you do your picture mosaics? I am trying to put one together and it is a big learning curve for me. - Any hints? THanks!

Robin said...

Great post! It makes me miss your family! Every post you do makes me miss your family! I think it is great that you made the effort to go to DC. I hope Michael casually mentions what he did yesterday today at school.

Your car almost got stolen?! Sounds like there is a story there.

Nortorious said...

I had no idea cherry blossoms were so many different colors. Beautiful documentation!

Melissa said...

oops! I actually had dead camera batteries by the time we saw all of the cherry trees! Sorry! My sweetest smartest mother in law could tell you what kind of trees I took pictures of.She has an amazing knowledge of all things that grow. We call them all Popcorn Trees. Really really scientific! (actually, the reddish ones are dogwoods, one is a magnolia/tulip tree?... maybe some apple blossoms? )

Stamps Family said...

Hi Melissa-- Your collages are great! What a wonderful way to capture the day! I love the beautiful spring blossoms and the beautiful Austin children! Hugs and kisses to all...

smilesbig said...

Melissa you need to give a class on photo taking and how to use the internet to post them so beautifully. Maybe you can ask Kara for a night at Enrichment????? Would love to know how.

Also your children are so beautiful. I can't blelieve that when I became a member you only had Michael, Janie, and Eve now look at the beautiful faces I see on Sunday. Such a joy!!!

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

Aaaahh!! Henry reminds me so much of Michael when he was that age. So sweet!! And Lily's comments made me laugh out loud! I may have woken up a kid. :)