Monday, April 6, 2009

Remember my March Make Over

Hmmm.. where to begin this post.

I jumped into March, I was on top of the laundry, dishes, my kitchen floors, you name it, I was going to town.

One night, after folding and putting away 10 loads of laundry I looked down to find 3 empty laundry baskets, 3 empty hampers. No dirty clothes.

And I thought, "Happiness is empty laundry baskets!" Then, I got thinking of Happiness is's.
  • Walking into a clean bathroom
  • dresser drawers full of folded clothes
  • clean walls
  • full pantry and refrigerator
  • empty sink, empty dishwasher
  • vacuum lines on the floor
  • books neatly on shelf, organized by author... pathetic I know
  • kitchen chairs tucked in with flowers on the table.
  • Order!
I was going to blog it!

Then, the next morning I woke up and guess what? You got it. Clothes in the hampers. Spilled milk on my pretty table cloth and something sticky on the floor, dishes in the sink, vacant spots in my pantry! (man we eat a lot!) Toilet paper behind the toilet? (actually, I try not to think on that one.) Blocks scattered allover my previously lined carpets.

But I felt happy! How could this be?

So, my new list--- and my new goal is to continue to find happiness in the fleeting things (accomplishing mundane tasks) but to really find happiness the lasting things (family, children, growing, learning, loving.)

Happiness is:
  • hearing a child snore in the night
  • Waking to the sound of a child singing
  • Watching your children help each other
  • Reading a book with a child snuggled next to you. Even if it is a lame book
  • Listening to your children make-believe about a family vacation to see their cousins
  • Piano and trombone practice
  • Henry running through the house with his hands in front of him ala Frankenstein
  • Jane spelling every word she can think of
  • Dave telling stories at bedtime
  • Laughter
  • art projects, from age 1 to age 10, all stages
  • Stories written with crayons
  • The feel of a child's hands on your face
  • Love notes on my fridge and on my pillow
  • Full tummies and growing bodies

I have always considered myself a grateful person. But lately, I've wondered if I really am. I have so much to be thankful for and I moan far more than I should..... I feel Awesome Attitude April coming on-- where I fix my attitude, now that my routines are back in place!

7 comments:

Robin said...

One more happiness:

Spending time with the Austins!

We miss you! Thanks for the positive outlook.

Darren and Chrissy said...

Amen Melissa! Thanks for the reminder. I needed that tonight- an attitude adjustment. GOod positive outlook! I have one more to add to the list: an almost 2 year old laughing pretty hard in his sleep! I wonder what he was dreaming??

Nope said...

I so need it that...just got back from the hospital( blood pressure , numing they tought i might have had a mini stroke)and i need it it to hear from you that happiness does exist!!! Pray for me!!

Lórien said...

So true. I love the times when the house is spotless, but within 24 hours it can be trashed again no matter how hard I try. It is hard for me to just let things go but in the end I think my kids would rather remember me playing instead of mopping the floor. It was fun to run into you today and I should have said, I need some Scentsy. I will look at the catalog online and let you know - does that work? And I had to go back to the section to get a different size and looked for your white shirt again.....with no luck :-( Hope you found something that worked!

Synergy Girl said...

But both lists feel so good...List 1 should be named the "de-stresser list" and list 2 you have totally nailed!! And attitude woman...I still think of the hymn you used to play...whenever things weren't so happy in the house..."Love at Home" You were always trying to keep the attitudes awesome...even if you had to pound the tunes into the tense air!!! I still smile thinking about it...

Stamps Family said...

Perfect list! I would just add one more... Happiness is having Melissa for a sister! You constantly amaze, encourage, and inspire me! THANKS again!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I love this. You have made my week with this gentle reminder of what really matters. :hug: Thanks :) Nessy from SN