Friday, June 19, 2009

Bring on the gluten.


The blood test results came back today and my 4 oldest kiddos tested Negative for Celiac's. Woo Hoo! I was really surprised. With such a strong family presence of Celiac's and lots of tummy aches, I figured somebody around here would have it too... I was working out in my head what to pack in school lunches, what to start putting away for food storage and how on earth we could make Grandma Cutler's Thanksgiving rolls G-free! I guess we don't have to worry about it! What a blessing. ......I wish my nieces and nephews and Amy were so lucky. :(

12 comments:

Celestia said...

I'm so happy for you!!!!! The first couple months were really really really hard. Did you celebrate with donuts? That donut looks good. I am currently planning to make GF eclairs so we can enjoy that yummy pastry. What are you guys favorite donuts? Mine's a Bismark, they're so good! Eclair are somewhat the same. I should get started on Bismarks and Apple Fritters. Yum. Sigh. Also we still enjoy Norweigan Pancakes GF. So even if your kids have the gene, you can all still have Norweigan Pancakes GF.

Celestia said...

P.S. I say '' Bring on the GF Living'' although you guys are tremendously lucky!!!! Congratulations!!!!

~Celestia~

karen said...

That picture has me wishing I was at my local Dunkin right now!!

Glad that your kids tested negative :)

Amy said...

I just heard your wonderful news! Yeah! Yipee! Phew! What a relief!!! :) -Amy

Stamps Family said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad you don't have to give up gluten!!! I feel so relieved for you, I could cry! (Okay, I did a lttle... I guess its that same weepy thing you mentioned in your last post) I sure hope you can find another simple cure for the tummy aches!

One interesting observation...I have found that almost everyone I talk to about Celiacs says that they could never give up gluten; they would rather just be sick. It seems like such a terrible alternative. But, everyone I have talked to that has Celiacs and has made the changes in their diet seems so HAPPY! They really feel better and like what they can eat. They may miss out on an occasional donut, but there are so many other yummy choices.

For now though, I am thrilled that your choices are WIDE OPEN!

(Sorry this "comment" was so long!)

Melissa said...

Jenny, you are right! And Celestia too! We were definitely willing to make necessary changes to keep our bodies feeling good--- and in fact we had already decided to do meat a little more sparingly and really "beef" up on our fruits and veggies. Carbs aren't our best friend anyway! Maybe I'll challenge myself to a few GF meals each week... that way, when you all come to visit me I can cook for you!!! Yay! ;)

Maren said...

Does that mean that Henry has it?

Melissa said...

Maren, we didn't have him tested... he is too little and doesn't seem to have any symptoms so we will wait a few years. :) I'm sorry Reilly has such a hard time.

Amy said...

"We can do hard things," Cache said sincerely after declaring he knew why we had to go gluten free. I love it when my kids say such impressive things!

It is hard. Can I say that again? It IS hard. It has financial, emotionsl, physical, mental, and social implications for each individual and for the family.

Yes, when it improves how you feel changing what you eat is SO WORTH IT!!!

But eating differently can feel like a big deal. Food is closely linked to our emotions. It is true that there are a lot of really good food that is gluten free, but saying good-bye to what a person is used to eating is sad! It actually involves grief!

Wonderfully, we become adjusted to what we can eat, and we can live healthy and strong!

The social part is hard especially for young ones, but even I cried and cried at our first Easter dinner when I personally couldn't eat any of it! I felt so left out!

Then, more recently I actually felt much sadder thinking of my children experiencing struggles due to these issues. But6 my sadness was changed to joy as I see my children shine through trials!

I understand that my children will be blessed by our efforts to help them avoid gluten, and I believe our trials ARE blessings.
Everyone has trials. They are all different, just as WE are all different, and they are tailor-made by Him who is omniscient!

We praise His name that you don't have this particular trial, and we continue to keep you in our prayers regarding the trials you do have! We love you! Now, no one pity us! :) Life is so joyous, even when it's gluten free living! :) xoxoxoxox -Amy

Laura said...

Every time I hear someone else having to live GF I think of two things. First, how much their lives will change- the whole family. And second, how grateful I am that there are so many brilliant people out there who have worked really hard to make GF recipes readily available to the public through blogs and websites.

But, I am glad you're off the hook for this one. One more thanks to send upstairs.

Love you!

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

Yay!!!! Is Amy your sister with the 9?? kids? Ugh. Tough stuff. Glad for all of you. Oh, and I found the cutest pix of Blythe and Michael as toddlers in all of our stuff. I'll have to post them if it's ok with you.

Emily said...

Phew!