Sunday, July 6, 2008

Annual 4th of July Pancake Breakfast




Our ward has a wonderful tradition for the 4th. Every year we gather together for a flag ceremony, pancake eating contest, breakfast and a parade. We look forward to it every year.
This year Michael participated in the contest and won! (all those manners lessons out the window, eat as fast as you can without your hands! Whipped Cream on your nose, it is all good!) Don't you love the trash bag bibs?

The kids all stand on the stage in their various forms of patriotic apparel and bang out Yankee Doodle Dandy on rhythm instruments, it is lovely! (I have darling pictures, but there was no way to get "just my kids" in the pics, and I'm not up for putting other peoples kids out there for random viewing.)

Next you dish yourselves up as many pancakes with Strawberries and Whipped Cream as you can handle, sausage too... no contest now so had to use our manners. ;) For some reason, when I make the same thing at home it just isn't quite as delish...

Then we head out to sit on the steps of the church while the kids do laps around the chapel on their scooters, bikes, wagons, pogo sticks (I heard this was done once!) (that is a lot of jumping!) It is fun fun fun!
Only draw back is when the kids (Mine) drop their scooters to scramble for candy the bishopric is throwing from the back of the lead pickup truck... Caused a bit of a snafu as others tried not to crash into them or run over their bikes! All in the name of fun though!

It is seriously one of my favorite things! We always have a great turnout and it is so fun to see

This last picture is our deck deck-orated. ha ha, I'm so funny. Guess you had to pay more than a buck to be "united we stand". Love Dollar Tree. You pay for quality you really do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I loved seeing your photos and reading about your annual celebration. I have fond memories of having been there and enjoyed it with you! I remember Dave doing the pancake feeding frenzy not too long ago.
You do live in a beautiful spot in the world, and you're surrounded by wonderful people. Just wish we could make a "fold" in the map of the USA and just scoot your spot and our spot a little closer together. Sure!
Love and miss you! Mom

Anonymous said...

Ah, I miss the Newark Ward! Thanks for sharing, it makes me feel like we were there too. Those were the best ward pancake breakfasts I've ever been to!

Darren and Chrissy said...

I miss that pancake breakfast! And decorating the bikes, and playing the cymbals in the parade with the Vincent's! By the way, we got our new Children's Friend in the mail today, and Sydney was beyond excited to see Michael and Janey in there! You're famous and we're priveledged to know you! You look wonderful, and tell Leann she looks fantastic too!

Melissa said...

The great thing about Newark Ward is that everybody is welcome back! Seriously, we love alumni ;) (There were some "old" ward members this year and we were all so glad they came!)

Chrissy, isn't that crazy about the Friend? Eve is holding a "D" I think... Charlie took the picture. I feel like I should get a copy for each of my kids, might be the closest thing to fame they ever experience.

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

OK. So, a few comments...my big rule with lighter colored carpet, crawling babies, and many months of flip flop weather is "take off those flip flops!!" In case you haven't noticed, flip flops are like sponges for dirt and leave way too many dirty traffic areas.

My ranting aside, I love the dirty feet cuz Izzy's knees are permantently stained "dirt" color, also love the reasoning in their "matching" butterfly shoes, because now I know it's not only my kids with hilarious reasoning. But especially love that your kids feet are completely gross as well, when they come out of crocs. I'm pretty sure Jay has thought it was just me letting them put sweaty feet into shoes that I used as shovels in the garden. haha