Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Don't cry.

Over spilled milk right?

Last night, at dinner, Jane reached for a very full milk jug and precariously began to pour it into her tipsy cup. I reached over just in time to rescue it from the spill. I then told her (probably too sternly,) "I'm going to do the pouring tonight, I'm not in the mood to deal with spilled milk. You can pour it when it is less full." She was a bit bummed, but chattered on.

No less than 10 seconds later I, dear little me, knock over my very full glass of milk and it spills all over the table,and the chair, and the floor.

We all laughed.
Hard.
It is good to laugh over spilled milk. Much better than crying.

Jane offered to take over milk duty after that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. . . Been there, done that! I'm sure the exact same scenario . . . did you forgive me?
Love you and your day to day living!
Mom

Melissa said...

Mom, I don't remember ever needing to forgive you. :) Isn't life wonderful that way. My memories are of really good, safe times.

Tonight is one of those "Dang I wonder if I am ruining them" nights. My worry is that somewhere in between the nagging to do chores and the hastling over manners they will miss how amazing I think they are, and that they are Children of God.

Parenting- not for wimps.

Tomorrow is a new day. Thank goodness we get to keep trying.

Sally said...

I loved this post. Thank heaven you all laughed.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Oh, how funny! I just spent 10 days with Sally and saw more spilled milk/juice than I've seen in 30 years and I never heard her yell about it. I'm impressed. She also has an IRobot Roomba which also impressed me. She just fills it up with water & cleaner, sets it on the floor & leaves it. An hour later the whole kitchen floor is clean, clean, clean.

Alexandra said...

how cute!! I wish i would have known you lived in maryland!! maryland right? i moved away from new york, back with my dad to slc. my roommate out in new york was from maryland though so we could have visited :( sad. but i'm glad i have your blog now, your family is too cute.