
When I was little, there was a red light, way up on the mountain side. I was CONVINCED it was Rudolph. Convinced. Because you know, he lived far far away, but the elves watched me, so he couldn't be toooo far.
I think now, it was Bogus Basin ski hill, or some radio tower light.
It was very real to me. I can feel myself, lying in my bed on my daisy sheets and under my baby blue bedspread. I can hear the sounds of The Carpenters Christmas album. I can see the glow of the Life-Size rooftop Santa and sleigh on the Pierce's house behind us. I can smell hot cider and I know that my Mom is sitting at the kitchen table grading papers. I remember the feeling of anticipation, just not being able to contain myself.
I don't know exactly how my children are feeling... but watching them frolic all afternoon. Playing Nutcracker and Rudolph and bouncing off the walls, I am guessing they are getting excited. I love that they are creating memories. Not the same ones I have, of the Pierce's rooftop decorations and Rudolph's nose on Bogus Basin Mountain, but different ones. Who knows. Perhaps they see elves in the woods behind our house. They are falling asleep to tunes from Pandora.com and the tap of keyboard strokes... I hope they grow up with the magic that I felt.
10 more days.
Isn't it joyful?



8 comments:
That's a precious post, Melissa. I have tender memories about holiday times with you and your sibs. Life was so good. . . still is! Each stage is just new and different. One thing I'm learning, it remains very busy and gets more and more "rich" in so many ways. Our memories are part of what makes this so. I hope yours are as good as mine, and your children's even better! I love you all. Mom
Cute! You and your kids make me smile. In a good way.
This was a beautiful post. I remember that light too and I'm sure it was bogus basin. And it was definitely Santa's place, so funny that we both figured that out when we were growing up in Boise.
I remember the feelings, too. I remember driving around looking at lights, singing carols, and seeing a light in the sky (airplane or satellite, probably) and just being sure it was Santa's sleigh! SURE of it! And mom & dad saying we better get home and get in bed before Santa came to our house!
I remember lying in bed and not being able to fall asleep for the excitement.
I, too, am really hopeful that my children feel the same magic. I don't know if I'm acheiving that for them, but I'm trying. I love all of these memories and feelings about Christmas.
I remember driving to look at Christmas lights in surrounding neighborhoods with all of us singing carols. Sally & Emily both KNEW that the ski hill lights at Bogus Basin was Santa's workshop. It's still creating awesome memories for many children in Boise.
I remember waking up late at night and hearing santa, his jingle bells and everything and then mom yelled down the stairs, "Quick! santa came!" and we opened our presents that night! It was awesome.
Melissa - I would LOVE to have your family here for Christmas. We miss you.
Stopping by to wish you a blessed and very Merry Christmas! ♥ Hugs! :) Shauna
Stopping by to wish you a blessed and very Merry Christmas! ♥ Hugs! :) Shauna
This is a great post! I don't remember that red light at all.
Oh well. I do remember, like Sally, driving around, looking at lights and seeing some plane lights up in the sky and being convinced it was Santa and his sleigh. I also remember the Christmas Robin mentioned with the jingle bells and opening the presents at night.
I remember getting Christmas pajamas. I loved Christmas pajamas!
Post a Comment