Friday, April 10, 2009

What is so good about it?

My children are calendar readers. We are always made aware of random holidays. This morning Eve called, "Mom, what is so good about today?" It took me a few minutes to remember it is Good Friday. So, here is what is so good about it!

I love this talk by: Elder Joseph B. Worthlin

"On that Friday the Apostles were devastated. Jesus, their Savior—the man who had walked on water and raised the dead—was Himself at the mercy of wicked men. They watched helplessly as He was overcome by His enemies.

On that Friday the Savior of mankind was humiliated and bruised, abused and reviled.

It was a Friday filled with devastating, consuming sorrow that gnawed at the souls of those who loved and honored the Son of God.

I think that of all the days since the beginning of this world’s history, that Friday was the darkest.

But the doom of that day did not endure.

The despair did not linger because on Sunday, the resurrected Lord burst the bonds of death. He ascended from the grave and appeared gloriously triumphant as the Savior of all mankind."

He goes on to say:

"Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays.

But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come.

No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come."

I love his tender thoughts on his loved ones who have gone and his firm testimony of the atonement. The phrase "Sunday will come" may be my new mantra.

That is pretty Good right?

And lastly....
My beloved brothers and sisters, fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith. -President Thomas S. Monson

7 comments:

Emily said...

Good post too. Thanks.

Laura said...

Thanks Melissa. I guess it's been one of those Fridays. I loved your message. I really needed it.

And I agree- President Monson's quote is awesome. I'm just trying to live it, believe it, breathe it and hope for it.

Linda Austin Hart said...

An uplifting post.

Robin said...

Happy Easter!

Amy said...

Melissa, you are so awesome! Thank you for your inspiring post. I love the repetition of the phrase "Sunday will come" and that Elder Worthlin testified "in the name of the One who conquered death- Sunday will come." Thanks for sharing!
-Amy

Katie said...

Hits home. Thank you.

Stamps Family said...

Thanks Melissa! I just read the talk again. It is such a beautiful message! Happy Easter!