Tuesday, June 23, 2009

5 ways I can tell it is summer.

  1. My dishwasher is always full. Of cups.
  2. My cupboards and fridge are practically bare, the day after a major BJ's run.
  3. I have emptied the kitchen trash twice today.
  4. There are flipflops, damp towels, art projects, books, cheese stick wrappers and half eaten bananas (see #2) everywhere. Everywhere!
  5. The kids are wide awake long before I would normally be prying their cozy warm bodies out of bed to get ready for school. (Why oh why??)
I love summer! Michael is at Cub Scout Day camp this week and the girls (and Henry) and I are getting into the summer groove... trying to figure out how to be outside without being eaten alive, how to read enough books and do a little math each day, how much tv is just enough (for me to stay sane) and not enough (for cute brains to rot). If any of you amazingly smart readers have advice to offer on any of these things, I'm happy to listen. I'm keeping the games on the kitchen counter (even though they feel cluttery and are driving me bananas) because I want games and togetherness to be a part of our summer.

Here is a random change of subject (because I have no summer pictures yet and cute Jam pictures...) : We made Strawberry Jam for the teachers and support staff this year. I'm loving it on warm wheat toast, and the bonus is that we used (shhh) frozen berries! It is great and we can do it in December if we want! Hooray! Isn't it awesome how I have kids with such different haircolors? I love that middle picture! Would you even guess they are related? Genetics crack me up!

12 comments:

Laura said...

I can totally relate.
Another sign- the house is never all clean, even seconds after it's been picked up and vacuumed.

Love the jam idea. Might have to try it.

Emily said...

Your list is spot on, even though my kids aren't old enough to have a school year. ;-) So funny!

I love your table clothes, and it makes me wonder: do you have a box of table clothes that you rotate according to theme during the year? I think it is such a great simple way to decorate without adding clutter! It makes me want to do it!

Nope said...

...hi, we remove the tv, vcr, and all kinds of tv watching stuff out of the house, and we have been without IT for two month, i LOVE IT!!!!! my kids have picked up embrodery, sewing even the boys love it. I also gave away 90% of their toys so now i can see their creative juices starting to flow...looking forward to more of your posts on summer living with the Austins!!!!

Robin said...

Dont ask me for advice. Right now Noah is standing on Ike's back.

Becky said...

I love your pictures, but I must say you are a brave women(are those church clothes and strawberries?)LOL. Just kidding. The kids are adorable.

Kerren said...

You've just gotta' love it!
* How about a sharpie name on a "daily cup" for each person? Now that's an original idea! Duh!
* Celebrate with no socks for the summer -- well, maybe a pair for each on Sundays.
* I do love how you keep a pretty normal routine -- regular meals on a schedule, and timely bedtimes. It's that old "feed before they're starving and sleep before they're exhausted" philosophy.
* Is there a recycling program for one of the kidlets to manage? It would be a good way to divide up (if not eliminate or lessen) the trash. On second thought . . . it might just complicate matters.
I'm missing all of you, and it already seems like too long.

Jay and Stephanie Adams said...

Love the pix. It's amazing how (sorta) different they all look, just as it cracks me up that mine all look the same. We joke that we only know how to make the same flavor when it comes to kids. Do you mind if I post some pix I came across of Blythe and Michael in the unpacking. They're so darn cute and Henry is sooo reminding me of a baby Michael! My only suggestion with the books is that I have the big kids read some every day to the younger ones and I tell them how much the younger ones LOVE doing big kid stuff like reading with them. (which is true) Plus, it gives me a few more minutes to accomplish something and not have the TV on. But you probably already thought of that one. Oh, and I LOVE Robin's comment!!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i love homemade jam. darcie vanbrederode is the one who first inspired me to do it back in our DE days.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

hey, check out this list I made last year for activities. Here is my blog entry about the Summer Fun Jar. http://manyjoyousoccasions.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-3-latest-inventions.html

Katie said...

I love the Austin house!! Lily's hair is getting so long. Your summer sounds like my year round madness! I still don't know what works. I keep trying to say no movies except for movie night and I'm strong until it's whining and fighting and craziness that can do nothing but enduce a mother's breakdown! Then I whip out a DVD and enjoy the quiet. humm.... i suppose I should stick to my guns... By the way is Michael in Sunday clothes?! :)

Kerren said...

OK. . . it's not my turn, but I keep watching this and now I HAVE to go get the ingredients for strawberry jam and make a batch of it. We have scones on the menu for Sunday morning, so we need it! Hope mine turns out as delicious as yours! Yummy stuff!

Amy said...

It has been sooo long since I made str. jam! Good for you! I'm glad someone is doing it!

Love yor photos, and the cool way you do your collages... by the way how DO you do that? Do you mind sharing?

I totally noticed the vibrant colors of your children's hair! Beautiful!
xox-Amy