Sunday, June 14, 2009

I kept meaning to blog...

But we were busy doing this:

Hooray! G&G C. are here visiting! We have spent time reading, tickling, chatting, and playing games! games! games!


We went to a cubscout picnic. If you look closely, you can see, big tree, boys inside of tree, boys bolting out of tree when someone shouted hotdogs! :)
We have had buckets of rain, but Friday the weather was perfect! We went to Annapolis and took a tour of the Statehouse. It is fascinting. We saw a cannon that was brought here in 1634. 1634!!! As we entered the statehouse we were greeted at the door by our Governor! We missed the photo op so posed in front of his portrait. He was very friendly! Michael sat in the chair that Obama sat in and had his shoes shined and we all stood in the spot where George Washington resigned his Commission as Commander in Chief of the Continental Army. Very Cool! Our tour guide was excellent. We had a picnic on the lawn and then enjoyed the charm of Annapolis. It is such a cute area!
On our way home we stopped at Ft. Mc Henry. This might be one of my favorite sights to see. It is easy to imagine yourself there, the British ships right in the harbor and the guns and cannons at the Fort. After a short film strip, they open the curtains to the Star Spangled Banner flying high above the fort and the sound of a Men's Chorus singing our national anthem. I'm pretty sure you'd have to be made of stone not to get chills. ;) We arrived in time for the changing of the flag and our kids were able to help catch and fold the enormous flag! Did you know the original flag that waved the morning Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner was 30 feet x 42 feet! Huge!

Happy Flag Day!

10 comments:

Robin said...

When i saw the original star spangled banner (at the smithsonian) it gave me goosebumps and I got a little teary. G&G are lucky to spend so much fun time with you!

Nope said...

Oh, Melissa i am so happy for you and for your kids...the joy of having grandparents with you. They are snuggly, fun and loving...your kids are blessed!!!

Becky said...

I am so happy your Mom was able to come visit with you-guys. It is great you get to do fun things when they visit. Enjoy the rest of your time together!

Sally said...

How fun! and how wonderful.

I love the picture of G&G exhausted and the kids all looking wilted. Also the picture of gpa holding the leash for Henry. Great photography!

Darren and Chrissy said...

I love Annapolis. I miss all of the history there. We are discovering that KC is pretty cool, but still, sunflowers and corn aren't as exciting! I loved your Jane post too. That was very enilightening for me. I am thankful for the guidance of the Spirit as a parent. What a blessing! You are a great mom, and she really is a special girl!

Darren and Chrissy said...

I love Annapolis. I miss all of the history there. We are discovering that KC is pretty cool, but still, sunflowers and corn aren't as exciting! I loved your Jane post too. That was very enilightening for me. I am thankful for the guidance of the Spirit as a parent. What a blessing! You are a great mom, and she really is a special girl!

Amy said...

It's great to see what you've been up to! I've been thinking a lot of you all there together and trying to picture what's in your pictures! :) I'm so happy you've had the opportunity to be together! xoxox to all of you! Love, Amy

Emily said...

Wow. Busy! I love the flag day photo with everyone looking exhausted.

Laura said...

How completely awesome. I love that you live in a place where you can vacation so close to your home. I hope your family felt as lucky to have each other as they are. All of you are so amazing.

Love you!
Laura

Stamps Family said...

Great pictures! I'm so glad you are together, having a great time at home and out and about! It doesn't seem to matter where you are or what you are doing, it is just so good to be together! We enjoyed a few fun filled days with the Olsen's here! I sure wish we could all be together sometime... Give each other hugs for us!