Thursday, February 5, 2009

Intuition.

In response to a few comments (and I'm sure the hundreds of you that read and don't comment... har har har).

2 weeks ago Henry fell. At least, we think he fell. We had our backs turned. You know, you hear the thud, the silence, count to ten and realize it is coming-- the wail...

A few days later (and a lot more inconsolable crying) I took him to the Pediatrician who declared he must have a sore throat! She told me to keep watching his arm, but it didn't seem like there was anything wrong. On Saturday night we realized he was face-planting when he fell rather than catching himself with his arms... ah hah! I took him to the ER on Sunday (leaving in 12 hours for sunny CA) and they did x-rays and told me it was broken and that I was an amazing smart mom with fabulous intuition and a great advocate for my child who couldn't tell me how he was feeling. Ok, maybe not, but I felt really glad that he wasn't just becoming the Miserable Crabby Child for no reason.

So, he is better now. We went to the Orthopedist yesterday and she twisted and pulled and he charmed her with his gorgeous smile and the splint/sling is gone.

Too bad he is still a bit cranky. Maybe it is the other arm? ;) Just kidding. I know why he is cranky! He only has one tan arm! We need another beach day!

8 comments:

Stamps Family said...

So glad Henry is doing better! What a cutie! Meagan falls down so much, I truly can't believe she hasn't broken anything yet! She has also recently become a climber! And with apparently no fear, depth perception, or common sense, we are in for trouble! When she isn't climbing onto the table, she is pulling every book off the bookshelf or emptying the game cupboard. Such a busy, dangerous, fun age! Sure wish they could "play together!"

Anonymous said...

Sure enough . . . that clumbsy, rather awkward thing, we know where they both got it from. So sorry. I would rather have passed on my unique resistance to mosquito bites or something more positive. Either way, they're both very adorable and precious. Bumps, bruises, and broken bones heal, and eventually we learn to move more carefully. So cute!
Love you all. Mom/Grammie

Becky said...

That little sling is the saddest thing, if he was a little older he would have loved all the attention it gains. I am so glad he is doing better. You are a great mom for knowing something was wrong even after being told there wasn't.

Darren and Chrissy said...

You are a good mom! Mom's know best, even better than doctors! I am glad he is feeling better. It must be so frustrating for them not to be able to talk. Brady is starting that terrible 2 stage, and I think that it's not because he's a little stink (well, maybe) but because he knows exactly what he wants and can't verbalize it yet. Your vacation sounds fun!

Sally said...

Glad to hear Henry's okay! I wouldn't go to a doctor who didn't believe in mother's instincts - you know your child better than anyone!
Newark Sally

Sally said...

I am glad he's out of the sling now! He is such an amazing baby. So cheerful and content. We miss him and all the rest of you.

Wendy said...

I can soooo relate to that experience...more than once! I know the feeling of relief that there "was" something wrong with your child, at least there is an answer! I'm glad he is doing better...children are amazing healers!

Anonymous said...

LOVE all the baptism/trip pix!!! Glad Henry is doing better. Excellent intuition!!! The part I could relate to was that chaos was happening 12 hrs. before a big family trip. Is that normal?? Or have we just increased the odds on insanity with the more kids we have?? You all look great!! Keep em coming. BTW...Are you on Facebook?