Thursday, May 14, 2009

Makes me pause...

At the grocery store today we saw license plates from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland. It isn't unusual to see Virginia and New York driving down the road... but whenever I see one of these:


This was a 2C'er. Maybe a friend from Caldwell?


I pause. I sigh. I get a twinge of longing in my heart. I tell my kids all about growing up in Idaho. I tell them how I can tell based on the 8B or the 1A that those people live in Bannock county, or from my very own Ada county. There is a house I pass on the way to the market, somebody from Ada county lives there! I have resisted the urge to knock on the door and introduce myself as a fellow Boisean. :) I imagine they would be friendly and say things like "You Bet!".


I moved to Utah for school in 1992(Choke choke, gasp.) I haven't lived in Idaho since, I never thought I was really moving away!

I wonder if 30 years from now my kids will see a Maryland plate and pause to reflect on growing up in Maryland....

* I recently connected with a high school friend who lives in Philly. She admitted to following Idaho plates for miles just to see if she knew them. She also spent months trying to figure out the county codes on Pennsylvania plates till someone informed her they didn't do that here. Idaho has such a good plan!

9 comments:

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

My heart goes out to Georgia plates. Actually, there are quite a few of them around here! Makes me yearn for family down south. Sigh.

Robin said...

Why don't you move back to Idaho where you can feel that thrilling feeling everytime you drive!? And then, we can do an experiment and see if your kids get excited over Maryland plates in Idaho. Or, move to Colorado where we see a few more Idaho plates. Before we changed our plates to Colorado I was in the parking lot and a guy asked me what part of Ada County we lived in. We tried to find a connection but didn't but we still had a nice conversation. Idaho people are the Best!

Jeralee said...

Hey melissa,

Delurking to say that 8B is actually Bonneville County - Idaho Falls. I grew up around there. He he.... And 5B is Blaine county..
1J is Jefferson, and the rest is history.

I feel the same way, but I would never want to move back there.

BTW, I have been reading and lurking on your blog for a few months now - link from your Christmas letter! Beautiful children!

If you are interested, email me and I will send you an invite to my blog - it is private.

Maren said...

I went to Utah for School in 1992 too. My mom never made it back to Idaho as she had wanted. Utah was as close as she's gotten. I consider Utah "home".

Melissa said...

Hi Jeralee! I'm so glad I messed up my county song so you de-lurked! I miss you. Every time we play Uno or dominoes I think of you guys. :) Loved hearing about your life in your Christmas letter, way to go Joe! :)Your girls are beautiful, and I'd love to read your blog.

I knew 8B was Idaho falls area, does that count for anything?

Sally said...

I have this same experience all the time!

Amy said...

Well, yes, you have been gone sooooooooo long! :( We miss you in Idaho! You are ALWAYS welcome here! It's a good place to be! You seem, however, to have found much happiness where'ere you go! Good for you! xox I miss you! -Amy

Kerren said...

This makes me smile! Just yesterday, Bruce and I chuckled about our reaction to seeing a 1-A Idaho car just ahead of us. We always say, "Bet we know those people!" Sure! I still get tempted to pull them over and check just to be sure. What's even funnier is that we have the same reaction to
1-F cars from Franklin county, just 20+ miles north of here. There are hundreds of them here on the roads we travel . . yet we keep saying, "Bet we know them . . we're probably related to them!" I say: Go knock on the door of those 1-A people who live in the house on your way to the market. They'd more than likely be delighted. Who wouldn't be delighted to have you on their doorstep? One of these days soon, we'll be on your doorstep!

Stacee said...

Oh, I feel it with you too!!! Evertime I see mountains the homesick little girl in me cries a little!