Ask my brother or sisters. The phrase "one of those nights" has nothing to do with the phrase "one of those days". No negative connotation. Simply the feeling of security and togetherness, at the end of a busy day, and preparation for a Sunday.
When I was a little girl, Saturday nights found our family clean, bathed, pajama-ed, and waiting for our turn with pink sponge curlers. Usually we watched something like The Love Boat on tv. Nothing amazing, nothing special. But One of Those Nights... they were Good.
Tonight, after a busy Saturday I found myself in the middle of "one of those nights"--jammies, curlers, fingernail polish, yummy smelling snugly kids. It was good. We were watching The Sound of Music.
Man, I love this movie. I always have. It has been in my top 2 forever. My kids enjoy it too, I love to see them acting out the songs and pretending to be "________". Singing along with the songs...
But tonight, something else hit me. Last week I was posed the question, "What movie or show has the best romantic tension?" I couldn't' come up with one. Tonight though, I watched Maria and the Captain do the "Linder" and I think I found the winner. Sweet romance, no groping, no immodesty, just falling in love. I love that!
I attempted to find the clip on youtube but instead I found this one. You probably all saw it months ago, but it is terrific. I think, if I had been there I would have been laughing and maybe crying and trying really hard to join in.
I need to dance again!
6 years ago



18 comments:
That is an awesome post and an awesome video - I hadn't seen that before! It made me want to sing right out loud along with it.
I love "those nights"! I miss them, they don't happen as frequently lately. This is why I love the "no friends on Sunday" rule (not that you can't be friends on Sunday, we just don't "play" with them, unless it is a whole family gathering type thing), it is the one night I know we will get "those nights".
Ah. . . how well I remember. I'm so glad that you do too! It's easy to picture your familyroom and especially your precious family. Now, that video: That was classic! It must be obvious that we ALL need to dance and celebrate. And to think that I used to find the YMCA song/dance satisfying. This far exceeds that one. Thanks for the feel good moments. Love to all!
I just have to write real quick that Ben has asked to watch this three times already is waiting for it again...Thank you!
Hi this is Jane and I liked the movie.
Hi this is Eve and I liked the movie.
Hi this is Michael and I liked the movie.
This is Bruce and I liked the movie, and the view on utube.
That was great!
And yes...Saturday really is a special day!
Hi this is Robin and I like your family.
I love that youtube clip. I think my sister originally sent it to me. Tonight I feel the way you did last night. It was a wonderful day at church, a nice day at home with the family. Life is good. I'm really happy........
Do you want to try to get together next week for an outing?
What a great post. I love those nights and I would love to be with your sweet family for one of those nights.
I have never seen that video! I want the music, with the dance beat in it, I loved it!
Loved the video and was wondering if that was a troupe of dancers or was it a dance like the "ChaCha Slide" that everyone in England knew how to do. There were so many age groups doing that,just loved it thanks for sharing.
I wish my children were small again to have those experiences again.
Ahh, such sweet memories... I wonder what kind of "one of those nights" my kids will remember...
Thanks for another great post!
That video was AWESOME! I don't know why but it made me cry and laugh at the same time...I'd love to know the story behind it.
One of my all time favorite movies too!!!! And I love dancing and singing with my kids like I used to when I was young(er) LOL. When I was little I used to feel like I had a "special" love for the movie since my stepdad (do u remember ever meeting him in CO?) used to dance on Broadway and went to the School of Performing Arts...anyway, he lost out on the role of Rolf in the movie at the last minute. Anyway, just a fun bit of family trivia.
Oh, and I also love the smell of clean babies on a Saturday night.
:-)
I have so much to say about your post! Is there a limit? :) First, thank you for sharing the whole thing! The phrase "one of those nights" makes me smile! We had such a warm, good feeling at home! Secondly, I agree about the quality of the romance scenes between the Captain and Maria. I LOVE the one where she's teaching one of the boys to dance (was it Freedrick?-Sp?) and then the Captain comes, cuts in- and she is soon flushed and out of breath! :)
Thirdly, weren't we blessed, you and I, to have so many fun opportunities to perform, dancing and smiling?! I had never seen that youtube video, but now I (WE- ALL OF US) have many times! Thanks! Let's do that at our next family reunion- the whole big crew we're becoming- you can choreograph it Lissa! My favorite is the first guy who jumped and started dancing! LASTLY- it's great to see your kids' comments! xox -Amy
Sorry to be so longwinded- but wasn't the music of that movie wonderful! And I love the dance mix version too! (Chad gave me a tape once with a dance mix of one of Karen Carpenter's songs- it was awesome!) I'll never forget the December in Thailand, C.J. and Celestia in the back of Wisit's car teaching his two daughters "Doe, a Deer". His daughters didn't speak English yet, but they could sing that song and the 4 of them sang it over and over!
Dance, Melissa, dance! Move things to the corners & dance in the basement! Warm weather is here, and there's lots of space in the backyard, if not in the house.
Post a Comment