Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jump in to January...

Didn't jive.
Tried Fresh Start February.
Didn't fly.
Going for Make Over March.
5 days in....


New Years resolutions never work for me because I am still clinging to December, the tingly, happy, sparkly season of Joy. So, I never really get off the ground in January. I don't start new routines because I am lingering in the post holiday glow.

February sometimes is my January... I am craving routine after lounging for too long. Sometimes it works. It didn't this year. February just became gray and cluttery. (With the exception of a cheerful (most of the time) family and good celebrations.)

So, on to March. I need to get my life and home in order. I need plans, routines, structure, LISTS! I'm working on it.

While "working" (on Primary stuff for April) this morning I found one of my favorite songs on Youtube.


Here are the lyrics. They go with my fresh start, and my belief that I can have one. Every day. :)


1. Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

2. Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

3. Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

4. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above
.
(also, I should mention this version of the song is arranged by Mack Wilberg, it isn't the original. The history of the song on Wiki is really interesting.)

I might like this version from BYU combined choirs even better...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Loved the seranade and will enjoy it many times. Thank You! Your resiliancy is remarkable! March forward and go for it! Your resolve inspires me.
Love you,
Mom

Sally said...

The BYU version is gorgeous! I would love to have that on CD.

I feel the same way about March. I want to get the party started. Well, okay, I want to get my organized life started. Please make plans and lists and routines and then please let me copy. :)

You go, girl!

Maren said...

I am ALL about getting my home in order, routines, structure and the like. I would LOVE to come over and hang out with you as you work on yours (who knows, I might even be helpful).

Stamps Family said...

Hi Melissa--
I love the hymn! Bethany used to play it on the violin and it is one of my favorites! I also love the idea of a March Make-over! Boy, do we need one around here!!!

Stamps Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darren and Chrissy said...

I love that song too! Have you seen the Reflections of Christ video? I know you can order a DVD from Deseret Book, but I think you can get online to see it too. I will have to look up the location, but it might be reflectionsof christ.com, or google Mark Mabry. He is the photographer who made the video, and your song is the music to it, and I love it. I know how you feel about March. I am trying to be organized, but I just can't get excited about it. I am ready for spring!

Linda Austin Hart said...

Does anyone know a song to inspire me to get to bed earlier and get more sleep?

Anonymous said...

This comment is for Linda: YES! I have the perfect solution. It's an entire CD devoted to perfect sleep! It is called "Favorite Deep Sleep Lullabies" and it's written and produced, by my very brilliant and talented son-in-law, David Austin. (Your #1 son!) You and other readers can learn more about it and order at this website: www.sleepwavelabs.com.
Sleep well! Kerren

Kristen said...

I love this song too. Our Young Womens (sorry Robin...ha ha ha) sang it once in church and ever since then it has a real pull on my heart.

I am sending you a card about your resolutions. It is funny.

Robin said...

The music from this post brought all the kids in my house running to see what i was watching. I think I will play some MoTab tomorrow to get me going.

Becky said...

I linked here from Crazy Chorister and just wanted to say hi! I, too, love Come Thou Fount. Thanks for sharing these versions.

And I also love your thoughts about new goals in March! I think I'm ready to try that :)