
Tonight I was chatting with Michael while getting Henry to sleep. He told me about his experience as team captain for kick ball today. They chose teams, one at a time, till nobody was left. (Can you say ARCHAIC?? Who knew they still did that? I learned 201 ways to choose teams without destroying self confidence in "How to Teach P.E." at USU.) Anyway, back to our conversation.
Me: So, who was the last picked?
Michael: Amber.
Me: Why?
Michael: All the boys were picked first, she was just the last girl.
Me: How do you think she felt?
Michael: She told me she felt bad.
Me: How would you have felt?
Michael: Bad.
Me: How did the game go?
Michael: Fine.
Long Pause.
Michael: Next time, I'll be the last one picked.
Me: Why?
Michael: Because I missed all 3 pitches on everyone of my turns.
Low chuckle, turns to belly laugh.
Me: How did you feel?
Michael: Ok. I controlled myself. I was frustrated, but I laughed. I'm gonna get Jane to practice with me. Nobody laughed at me though.
Long pause
Michael: Funny thing, Amber scored a home run every time she got to kick. I told her I was sure glad she was on our team.
Man, I love that kid.
p.s. Don't you love the top left picture in the collage. The ball is 10 feet behind him, but he has great form! :) These were from soccer 2 years ago....



7 comments:
That was funny!!! You do have great kids...and boys are soo much easier to talk so much less drama!!
Oh wow! What great communication! Remind me sometime to tell you about how my "early self-image" was clearly defined by Red Rover and the whole selection process. Childhood must prepare us for the brutal realities of adulthood. . . bah! Oh how I love you and your precious family! Mom/Grammie
I love Michael. What an insightful and kind person he is. I hope if he ever gets picked last he will remember how well Amber did, and he will be proud of doing his best, regardless of how good it is.
What a nice guy he is! I wish kids were nicer, but I suppose it is good prep for reality. It sounds like he handled the situation magnificently. Thanks for sharing!
Such wisdom from a terrific boy with an amazing mom!
Michael is so mature. He has such a great sense of humor. This story makes me miss your family a lot.
He is so thoughtful, gentle and very mature. We all need to practice laughing at our mistakes, failures, and disappointments.
I love the picture of him with his cheeks puffed out.
I like your new background/wallpaper by the way!
Post a Comment